Monday, November 24, 2008

Branding

So I was reading through some Magnum blog recent archives and found Alec Soth's post here about branding yourself as a photographer. "One wonders how the collapsing markets might affect the larger universe (or is it a ghetto?) of the photography world. Will gimmickry and branding become less prominent? Will documentation take precedence over decoration? Will people start caring less about the bag than the stuff it's carrying?"

Combine that with APE's recent interview with Matt Moneypenny, talking about building and managing a photographer's brand and its got me thinking.

I'm a student still trying to figure out my voice-what I want to say, and how I want to say it. Every where I look, there are people telling me to find my thing and stick with it.

First, I haven't seen nearly enough of the world to know quite how I want to fit in it yet. On the other hand, every photog I look at and love, from Martin Parr to Richard Avedon to Andreas Gursky to W. Eugene Smith, has a very distinct style. For the most part, I could look any of their photos and say, "thats a Parr/Gursky/Avedon/Smith".


^thats a Gursky^

Where is the line drawn between developing a voice, and just shooting and doing the same thing over and over again? I'm working on a project about chairs right now (couple of images below) and I've gotten into a sort of rut as far as imagemaking goes. I take the pictures, edit them and viola, but they're starting to feel stale. Where to go from here?

Chair 19
Copyright © Jake Naughton
Chair 32
Copyright © Jake Naughton

4 comments:

Noah J. said...

i can't believe you tacked copyrights underneath all of your photos.

classy jake.

i'll keep reading, but if you ever post about finding your voice again, i will start calling this your livejournal.

Dreed said...

That second one is good, though.

There definitely is some blurring of the line between finding your own voice and doing the same thing over and over; I see it in writers the most, but to some extent artists and photographers, as well.

I think at this point, all you can do is do what you're doing, and if it ends up manifesting itself as a style or voice, whatever, and if you end up scrapping it, that's valuable, too.

Tim Wilgrims said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim Wilgrims said...

Both these gents already carved out 99% of the intellectual territory that can accompany this post, so clearly the only thing left is to thematically call out your ignorance of compound words.

"Man was born free, but everywhere is in chains."

(And, yes, I had to delete the first one because of a typo. Not even going to come close to stopping me.)