Sunday, February 15, 2009

Just words

Alrighty-a real blog update! I am officially one third of the way done here, and I've only updated my blog twice. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

First, my 16-35 is still not here-its been held up in customs for over a week. I promise as soon as it gets here, I'll post all sorts of scene-setting shots for everybody.

I'm suffering from these strange pangs of homesickness-I've never been homesick in my life, but now I find myself craving being able to sit on my own couch, and watch television that isn't poorly dubbed over Spanish soap-operas, WWF or absurdly low-budget homegrown Kenyan dramadies (I would maybe kill for one episode starring Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin). I would love a super-egg everything bacon/egg/cheddar sandwich from Gotham Bagels, or a butternut squash omelet from Sophie's. I miss my house mates, and everyone that has a key to my house despite not paying rent. Basically, I miss a lot of little things, just a little bit.

Having said that, life here continues to blow me away. It's weird to think that I have been here for a month. There are certain things that seemed so alien to me a month ago and now seem familiar, even boring(like the public transportation, pictures soon). Then there are the things that surprise me every single time I see them, like the (many) goats eating trash, while small fires burn a couple feet away. Or the view of Nairobi streets from above, and the seeming chaos and lack of crosswalks, or any semblance of working traffic signals.

These descriptions feel really clumsy, not good enough. I wish I had some photos to share, and starting this week I'm going to be shooting a lot more than I have been.

Luckily for me, Jama brings Newsweek, Time and the Economist(my new love) to class every week, and I have felt reassured by the fairly constant flow of great journalism (I'm a junky, what can I say).

I met with a photojournalist named Felix Masi, who used to work for the Nairobi Star and now shoots freelance for a bunch of wires. He's Kenyan and was packed with energy. We're going to be shooting together in the coming weeks. I'm also psyched cause I'll be meeting with Kate Holt (check her stuff out, its really great!) in a week or so. Also, biggest thing on the horizon for me-I just got the go-ahead from Alterra's green-buyer, so I'm going to be visiting a coffee farm, doing a tour, tasting, the whole nine yards. Being the huge coffee nut that I am, I'm pumped!

There's a ton more I'd love to talk about, but the post is long and I'm not feeling the words thing right now. Back soon.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Jake,
Lovely blog -- I hope you get that lens soon, since we can't wait to see the photos. My students ask almost daily about the "pictures." Homesick? Jake? We all miss you too -- Mom/Dad

Anonymous said...

Hey Jake,

Granny, Kim, Graham and I are all really enjoying your posts! (annie's visiting a friend at UVM) You are a VERY good photographer.

Do me a favor? when I was back there in grad school, I was in an Amnesty International group that campaigned for the release from prison of a U of Nairobi faculty member named Maina wa Kinyatti. He was known for his research on the history of the Mau Mau movement, and he was imprisoned for sedition -- got in trouble for trying to organize a union at the University.

Anyway, I know he ultimately got released, and at one point I think he might even have taught at Hunter College here in NYC, but I don't know what happened to him after that. Just curious -- if you find anything out about him, let me know?

thanks -- looki forward to future posts!

Tom

Anonymous said...

HI Jake,
I love reading your blog! and the pictures are wonderful. I bet the giraffes are amazing to see. The boys enjoy the pictures too! Let me know what kind of coffee to buy and look forward to more posts.
Love the California Knapps.

Tim Wilgrims said...

Don't get too nostalgic. If you hadn't enlisted me to clean up after the rest of these girly men who flee at the sight of a papercut, there might still have been the half-digested contents of a certain nameless housemate's meal last night here to welcome you home.