Monday, February 2, 2009

Kenya!

Mambo from Kenya!

I know all of you have been waiting with baited breath for me to update the blog, and I'm sorry for the delay, but I had to wait a bit before I had a good enough internet connection to upload some photos. I won't give the full update here- I've sent out emails to most people, and if you didn't get one just comment and I'll fill you in.

I love it here! The country is absolutely beautiful. We had our orientation in Lake Nakuru National Park, about 3 hours outside of Nairobi. There we went on a bunch of game drives and I saw a ton of animals (photos below).

I just ordered my 16-35L, which should make its way to Kenya sometime in the next week or so, and once it does I'll upload more pictures of the city itself-the 70-200 doesn't lend itself to scene-setting. Its a sprawling city with a constant crush of people-there are around 3 million people in the city itself, and another 3 million or so living in the slums-1 million live in Kibera alone, which is only about 1 sq. mile. I went grocery shopping with my brother and sister (I'm living in a homestay just on the edge of Kibera, with four sisters and a brother) downtown on Friday and I couldn't believe the number of people pressed into this enormous grocery/everything store. I love love cities, so I am absolutely having a great time.

Friday night I went with some friends to a club called Carnivore-it was a cultural night celebrating a particular tribe, the Kalingi. The club was huge-there were easily 1000+ people there. The clubs here don't close, so we were out until 4:30. It was pretty amazing.

As I take photos, and stuff happens, I'll put it up here-look for updates about once a week, maybe more frequently as I get settled in.

Tutaonana!

Jake

6 comments:

Tim Wilgrims said...

bate
Pronunciation:
\ˈbāt\
Function:
verb
Inflected Form(s):
bat·ed; bat·ing
Etymology:
Middle English, short for abaten to abate
Date:
14th century

transitive verb: to reduce the force or intensity of, restrain; with bated breath

2: to take away, deduct

3 (archaic) : to lower especially in amount or estimation

4 (archaic) : blunt

intransitive verb (obsolete): diminish , decrease

Anonymous said...

I didn't get an email you jerk. That picture with the short dof really throws me off. Also, the eos-3 is gone and a 20d is on its way (i'm going old school until i find real employment).
Don't die.

Jenna said...

Jake! Your pictures are amazing, per usual. I'd love an update so send an e-mail my way if you get a chance. I hear you and B were repping the Superior Badger Herald shirts- makes me proud. Say hi to her and Carolyn for meeee.

Unknown said...

I too received no email, you rapscallion!!! I hope things are extra fancy round your parts and that you get the chance to read MY blog every now and then too.

Anonymous said...

killer pics, jake

miss you

love you

Unknown said...

Jake,

Looks like your beginning to get the hang of potrait photography.
Dadio