Monday, March 23, 2009

Internship Week 1


So I have officially completed my first week at my internship, and it has gone amazingly well. This whole week I was working at Kiber Girl's Soccer Academy (KGSA). I start at CFK soon, but we're still figuring out my schedule there. Kibera is a crazy town, and its really more than I'm ready to explain right now. These pictures are all from in Kibera, so they will have to suffice for now.
I'm working with the journalism club, Filamu Juani. KGSA is partnering with the Lower East Side Girls Club (and here) to put together a global platform that girls around the world can use to share their experiences. To that end, a couple of wonderful people named Carol Anne and Danielle have come in from the states to facilitate KGSA's inclusion in the initiative.
The LESGC has already partnered with a girls' group in Chiapas, Mexico and another one in Katmandu, with plans to continue expanding the network. Once Carol Anne and Danielle leave, I'll be helping facilitate the program here in Kibera.


This past week was spent training the girls in basics of camera use , both still and video, and in editing a bit. Here's what we've got from this past week. The theme was water, in honor of World Water Day. As time progresses, we'll be training the girls on creating their own stories and uploading them to the web on a platform similar to the one above, but a little more sexy and all that jazz.


Also exciting-a friend of mine works at Hot Sun Foundation, which is currently in the process of making a feature length film by, for, in and with Kibera residents. Thats exciting on its own, but couple that with the fact that they're using the RED camera. Its the only one in E. Africa, and one of 2 in all of Africa, and its literally history in the making. I've been hanging out at the Hot Sun offices and making lots of friends. I'll keep you update on that as well.

More later this week. All the pictures are from KGSA, except for the obvious one.

1 comment:

Laurie Stark said...

Your eye for color is amazing. This is all so interesting, Jake!

- Laurie