Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hey I'm Here!

Before going into details of the last couple days, a snippet I wrote on the plane from LHR to NBO:
"I'm in a strange mood. Its inconceivable that my flight is connected in any way to the actual purpose of my trip. Travel always puts me in a bizarre limbo, bu this one is compounded by a dull queasiness in my stomach, like stage fright or that weird stomach flip right before you kiss someone for the first time.

I don't know what I'm afraid of, but something has my stomach turning and my mouth dry. I'm beyond excited to get back to Nairobi, but am clueless as to how to operate in this new, non-studying abroad context.

Also, traveling alone is no fun. Its full of more introspection than anyone needs, especially me. Definitely exacerbated by a seven hour layover in London, which as previously described, is a loathsome place.

What I'm listening to: Solo Dolo by Kid Cudi
What I'm looking at: the adorable couple sleeping next to me, his chin on her forehead. Not creepy."

I arrived in NBO 6:30am only to find, or rather not find, my bag. After searching for an hour and filing a claim report I left the airport. By then the cab I had arranged the day before had gone so I got a little ripped off on the ride to my amazing hostel: The Wildebeest Camp. For around $15/night, I get free breakfast, wi-fi, hot showers and beautiful grounds with gardens and a tv lounge. Plus great security, a major plus with $5k+ in gear with me. I then proceeded to pass out for 7 hours, read for Kafka on the Shore for 3 hours and then pass out for 7 more. Blame it on the jet lag and upset stomach. Photos of the hostel (taken from my camera phone....dont give me shit please):






Tuesday was a great day. Feeling rested I woke up early, still sans bag, grabbed breakfast and then headed to KGSA to meet Ryan and see whats up. First, I stopped by my host family and got to see Sini, Mom and Tracy. It's tough to say how great it felt to see them again, how unreal it seemed and still seems and how much it felt like no time had passed at all. I didn't realize quite how much I had missed them until just that moment. I then went next door to Jose and Adriane's house and got to see that whole family, which was equally amazing. Nathan, the baby in a picture I posted last time around, is now walking and yelling and understands Swahili well enough to do what you tell him. It was great to reconnect with Jose, with whom I'd sit with for an hour or more every night talking. Adriane was supa excited to see me, and we spent the better part of an hour pretending to eat each other's ears (long story).

Then I went to the school and finally saw Ryan (the director of KGSA on the US side, very good friend and one with whom I shared many meetings with this past summer in Madison) in Kenya for the first time. I also got to meet Jamie, a board member of KGSA and one with whom I've shared many emails with but never met in person. We spent the afternoon painting the new rooms-the school has doubled in size since I left to accommodate a new library and science lab. Teka, the headmaster and good friend of mine, then took us out to Miami, a lunch spot I used to go to most days with KGSA teachers. The owner recognized me and we shared some stories.

After that, Ryan myself and a whole lot of Badgers got together for drinks and Ethiopian. There were grad students doing research, a former MSIDer working at a school in Kangem (another slum of Nairobi), a friend of Ryan'sand waitress at Buraka, a favorite Ethiopian place in Madison visiting Ryan, and a few others. It was a great time.

An extremely loud and rude Belgian family sharing my dorm room at the hostel woke me up this morning with 30+ minutes of extended, intense whisper-speaking. I have since spent the last 6 hours and over 1000 KES (12ish USD-not a lot but roughly one day's budget) trying to track down my luggage. After an extremely frustrating series of phone calls my bag will be delivered today, but no one has any idea exactly what time.

Yay and bummer. I smell awful-tons of bug spray after 30ish mosquito bites the first night, combined with lots of sweating after walking all over in this 80 degree wonderful weather and wearing the same clothes for 3 days. Later today I'll try and give an update that has more than "today I....." but didn't want to make this any longer.

What I'm listening to: I'm Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass by Yo La Tengo
What I'm looking at: The mildly surreal and always melancholic portraits of Nadav Kander
Copyright Nadav Kander
Copyright Nadav Kander

Final thought so far: Kenya is amazing. Being back is incredible. I love it here.

1 comment:

Mercy M said...

The hostel looks wonderful!! never knew such a place existed so close!